When visiting the Writing Center, please keep in mind the following policies:
- We will only meet with you once per day.
- We will focus on one piece of writing per session.
- Because our goal is to help you become a better overall writer, as opposed to simply helping you write better individual papers, we are happy to consult with you on a writing project up until the day before that project is due. Because you will need space and time to process and apply the content of a session, tutors cannot meet with you to talk about a paper you’re writing on the same day that paper is due.
- You must bring with you a typed, printed, hardcopy version of your paper.
- Tutors will not do your research for you. You may, however, bring in research that you’ve done on your own or in conjunction with a librarian, and tutors will help you evaluate the quality of your research.
- Tutors will not edit or proofread your papers; rather, we will work with you to address sentence-level concerns in order to empower you to edit and proofread your own prose.
- Sessions last 45-50 minutes. Our last session of the day begins one hour before the Center closes.
- All members of a group must be present for a session about a group project.
- If you are more than 10 minutes late for your appointment, tutors reserve the right to meet with a “walk in” student instead.
- If you are chronically late to sessions for which you’ve made an appointment, or if you don’t show up to 2 scheduled sessions, the Writing Center will not work with you for the remainder of the semester.